The Sacred Heart Church Jaipur is the oldest and the first Catholic Church in the whole of Rajasthan and its beginning goes back to 1871. The Church was built by the French Capuchins on the land donated by the Maharaja of Jaipur with the help of the state p w d. The first marriage recorded in Jaipur was that of Miss Anna Brathpur and Mr. Francis Xavier s/o Peter D’Silva celebrated on 23rd Feb. 1783 and the first baptism recorded here is the baptism of Miss Theresa aged 2 years and 5 days, the daughter of Francis Xavier and Anna D’Silva. She was baptized on 5th Jan. 1790. The first resident Priest of Jaipur was Fr. Conrad OFM. Cap.
In 1945 the Jesuits started the St. Xavier’s school and the first principal was Rev. Fr. Robert Ludwig S. J. and the first Jesuit community was guided by Rev. Fr. Hussey William S. J., the first superior. Later in the year 1979 a new parish was created and named after St. Xavier, and the Jesuits fathers are entrusted with the care of this parish by the bishop. In the year 1981 the sisters of the Missionaries of Charity started a Destitute Home for the deprived and the destitute, close to the school campus and it is serving hundreds and thousands of poor people in and around Jaipur and thus bears a great Christian witness of love in the city.
The land for a Church and a school was bought in 1989. Fr. Raymond Coelho did the initial work and Fr. Leo Moras was the first resident Priest. The Prabhudasi Sisters of Ajmer came to assist in the Parish and the School. The Church was built in 1994 and blessed by Most. Rev. Ignatius Menezes.
A parish was established in the year 2000 and Fr. Raymond Coelho was appointed as the first Parish Priest and Principal of St Anselms North City School Jothwara and the parish named as Holy Redeemer Church. In August, 2006 the building work of the Church was completed and then blessed by Most. Rev. Oswald Lewis. The Holy Family Sisters of Nazareth assist in the school and the Parish since 2002. The Provincial House of the Prabhudasi Sisters of Ajmer was shifted to Jothwara in the year 2004.
At the request of Bishop Ignatius Menezes of Ajmer, the Mission Sisters of Ajmer, in the year 2003, purchased a plot of land here to establish a convent as well as a school in order that the Christian settlers in this area could be rendered service. Since the diocese did not have a plot of land in the area, the diocese bought a piece of land from the Sisters themselves for the Church to be built. The new parish was erected in the year 2007 and the first resident priest was Rev. Fr. Augustine Mannoor. The priest House was built and blessed in 2007. The Liturgical services were held in the newly built parish House till 2009 and the new parish Church was built and blessed in the year 2009 by Most Rev. Oswald Lewis. Subsequently a De-addiction and Rehabilitation Centre named Nav Jeevan Kendra was opened and was blessed in 2012 by Most Rev. Oswald Lewis.
The C.M.C. Sisters of Kanjirappally Province bought a piece of land in the year 2005 at Bagrana in order to open an English medium school. The Diocese bought a piece of land from the CMC Sisters themselves and a parish house was built in the year 2010 and the first priest to reside in the campus is Fr. Casimiro Coelho.
In 1995 the land was purchased for a school and in 1998 a school was opened by the Sisters of the Congregation of Our Lady of Graces. Until 2000 the station was visited by fathers from Bandikui and Jaipur. From the time the Social Work Centre of Jaipur Diocese is opened in the same premises there has been a resident priest to take care of the Parish.
The station is managed by Missionaries of St. Francis De Sales (MSFS). In 1921 a church was built on the land leased by the Railways. Fr. Oliver O.F.M.Cap. was the first Priest-in-charge. Lakheri, Karuli, Hindoun City and Sawaimadhopur were visiting stations. Until 2000, it was looked after by the Diocese of Ajmer and in the same year it was handed over to the M.S.F.S. Fathers. Now a school is built in the newly purchased land. Franciscan Sisters of St. Joseph opened a convent to help in the school and the Parish.
The land for the Church, School and Convent was purchased in the year 1994 and the school was opened in 1995. Fr. Jose Kadanthottu was the first resident priest. F.C.C. Sisters opened a convent here and they help both in the school as well as in the Parish.
The Catholic presence in Phulera is recorded from 1892. Since it was a place of importance to the Railways there was a well established Railway-colony and many Christians working in the Railways; both foreign and Indian employees. A Church was built here in the land given by the Railways. At first Fathers from Ajmer visited the place to look after the spiritual needs of the people. After the creation of the Jaipur Diocese there has been a residential priest since. In the year 2007 the Diocese of Jaipur bought a piece of land there for the purpose of opening an educational institution. In 2008 a new school was opened in the place; a branch of St. Anselm’s. Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny (SJC) have started a convent here and they are helping in the school as well as the Parish.
The few catholic families of Sawai Madhopur were formerly served by the fathers from Gangapur City
and from Jaipur. In the year 2000 the stations, Gangapur City and Sawai Madhopur were handed over
to the M.S.F.S Fathers. They took care of the station until 2009 and then the demand of the small
community of believers here for a full time resident priest was realized when a school was started
in a rented building in 2009 by the Diocese of Jaipur. From then on the station is being looked after
by the Diocese. In 2010, land was purchased for a school. The Sisters of the Congregation of Our Lady
of Graces opened a convent here to help in the school and parish in 2009.
© 2021 - Catholic Diocese of Jaipur
Bishop HouseOutside Ghat GateJaipur - 302003Phone: 0141–2600743