Faith - Encounter with Jesus
As the curtain rolls down the Year of Faith, we lift up our hearts to the Giver of Faith in gratitude and in an
act of celebration. It has been a year of Grace as each of us experienced the love and closeness of our Heavenly
Fathes. We had ample opportunities to celebrate and share our faith with others, through Seminars, Study Sessions,
Prayer and Liturgical Celebrations, at Parish, Diocese, Regional and National level. While the stipulated time
comes to an end, our response to faith should continue, our effort to learn, to share and to celebrate should increase.
The Christian faith is the belief in the Resurrection of Jesus. It is centered around the person Jesus, who lived 2000
years ago. While the people of this generation look back to Jesus, the people of the Old Testament looked ahead to the
same person, the Redeemer. It is Jesus who gave us the knowledge of the Father, the Son the Spirit. "For the Father
loves the son, and shows him all that he himself does" (Jn 5:20). It is Jesus who described the love and compassion of the
Father; who taught us to pray to the Father and assured that our Heavenly Father knows even before we ask.
Jaipur, the capital of Rajasthan, is a complete all season destination created in pink stone. Jaipur derives its name from Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II, a prince, soldier and astronomer, who built the city in 1721 in accordance with Shilpa Shastra, the ancient Hindu tradition on architecture.
The first Christian presence in Jaipur goes back to the time of Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh of Jaipur. In 1728 Father Emmanuel de Figuredo accompanied by a lay man Pedro de Silva, who later settled down in Jaipur, came to Jaipur at the invitation of Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh. The Maharaja gifted a piece of land and contributed generously for building of Sacred Heart Church at Ghat Gate in 1871.
The first resident priest of Jaipur was Fr. Conrad OFM Cap. In 1890 Rajputana and Malwa Missions were created separating them from Agra Diocese and in 1891 this new mission was made into an Apostolic Prefecture appointing Fr. Bertram OFM Cap., as the first Prefect of the new Prefecture. To start with there were five priests and five stations namely Bandikui, Nasirabad, Jaipur, Neemuch and Mhow.